Thursday, August 7, 2014

Idly Passing Time

... it's what I do; mostly sleeping, often, alternately, waiting to fall asleep or fighting to stay awake.  Days are a fog; frequently clouded with nothingness.  It seems rare that my time is spent purposefully, or that I feel accomplished.  I could be wrong.  

I love to read, but have not made time to enjoy this simple pleasure.  How could I enjoy it if my effort requires so much strain - mostly on my eyes, but body as well.  I might even add, relationships.

Today I picked up a book that I first discovered in my teens. I found it in a relative's collection of books during an overnight visit all those many years ago.  I remember how it caught my attention. It was one of the narrower book spines among the many to choose from in boxes and on shelves, and the color made it appear older than it actually was. As I handled it, the title and book jacket photo drew me in; opening it revealed that perhaps it's pages had never been turned... I would turn them. The memory of that moment is still vivid in my mind. I sat down, opened it, and read it... all the way through.

This evening I read On Time:

... that yesterday is but today's memory and
tomorrow is today's dreams. ~ THE PROPHET by Kahlil Gibran

It feels forced... reading.  So does being.  Is this difficult to comprehend?  I love to read....but, time.  Why the chore to make the time?  I have time.  I must work to use it more wisely.  Or, is that only a dream?

I'm going to do my best to take the time to remember this:

... let today embrace the past with remembrance
and the future with longing. THE PROPHET by Kahlil Gibran

What do I long for?

I think I'll re-read the passage On Time again, let it sink in.

Until tomorrow ~ Lil

***

This post is written for Day 7 ~ Creating Memories with August 2014 NaBloPoMo


12,933



No comments:

Post a Comment