Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Bubs!

Thanks to social media, I am learning more and more about myself.  For example, last year, I came to realization that I was a special needs child. Today, I made an amazing - to me, anyway - discovery about my family dynamics.  But most importantly, my Bubs has a birthday today.


So, I had a letter to write today.  My great-nephew reached an important milestone - age 13.  I had to share how much his history fills my heart with joy and love.  I love that he is family.  He probably wouldn't know me if we passed on the street.  His is the only photo at my desk.




I haven't seen him in over six years!  Haven't seen any of my family from California in that long - including mom.  The last time we lived in close proximity was over 10 years ago.  Yes, Bubs was just a tiny little guy when we left La Quinta.  I remember, both my nieces and their toddlers spent the night quite often after the hubs left ahead of us to start his job in Texas.  Those were special times.  Bubs and Ani (nicknames) were so much fun!  I'm smiling now, I love babies - these little ones could not be more loved by we Carilos.

So in his letter, Bubs, will read how the birth of his mom was one of the best things to happen to me.  I was a first-time auntie to the sweetest baby ever.  I'll tell  him how much I loved babysitting his mom when she was a toddler... How hard it was to bite my tongue when she became a tiny bit of a handful as a teen - very strong willed... How when she grew up and got pregnant, we all adored that growing baby in her tummy.  My kids were very young when Bubs was born and they loved driving to their cousin Nini's house to visit him.  We loved the giggles, the babbling, watching him learn to walk and talk.  He was such a funny little guy.

He'll also read how much I loved that he referred to me as "Hawaii" while we lived there - obviously I was no longer a familiar figure in his life.  He'll know that every visit to California, he was top of the list to pick up and go out to do something fun with.  He always will be. I'll ask him to give his little sister and new brother whom I haven't met bunches of kisses from me.  I love you, Bubba.  Try not to be too much trouble for your mom.  Stay sweet.  Hugs and kisses from your Auntie Lee; aka Hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment