Friday, August 15, 2014

Lights! DVR! Popcorn!

It's been the summer of movies. If you've been keeping up with my NaBloPoMo Sunday posts, Lil's Week In Review from July & August, there is a growing list of blu-ray, Netflix, and Hulu movie selections that we've played at home over the Summer. It's been so much fun... but, truth be told, there's rarely been any popcorn served.  I must work on that.  Only a week and a half before College Girl heads back east for school, and her sister begins senior year of high school here, and we're down to the last 8 or 9 films.  I hope we make it, because there are additional films C.G. missed out on before returning home after winter break that we still want to watch with her.  So fingers crossed.

The list comes from Entertainment Weekly's Staff Picks of  55 Essential Movies to Show Your Child Before Age 13, and most have been spot on, regardless of the fact that my kids are 22, 20 & 17.  I highly recommend this family activity. It opens up discussion about any number of topics, and rekindles memories from the time we originally saw some of the movies when they were released in theaters... always a special treat.

My movie list choices have taken a backseat to the EW list, and that is perfectly fine.  I'll somehow manage to figure out how to set the blu-ray player so that I can watch my collection of favorites... gloriously produced cinematic period pieces, British (The Bridget Jones films and Love Actually were good medicine during a certain challenging period in my life.) romantic comedies, and of course, Harry Potter series, with your occasional stinkers that only I have an appreciation for in this family, like RV, Wild Hogs, What A Girl Wants and so on.

Then there are those beloved Nora Ephron films that I'm especially fond of and can watch on a weekly basis.  I love her stories, and I'm saddened by the fact that her book with further contributions to motion picture arts has been closed forever; however, grateful that I own a collection of her movies and a couple of her books.  There will never be another who will ever come close her, other than maybe her sister, Delia.  I hope she has some works in progress written in the same vain as Nora's stories.  I'll just have to wait and see, and keep my fingers crossed.

What are some of your favorite movies? Do some also stir up special memories, or take you back to another phase in your life?  Let's discuss, down in the comments.

Until tomorrow ~ Lil

***

This post is written for Day 14 ~ Creating Memories with August 2014 NaBloPoMo


13,059




No comments:

Post a Comment