Friday, November 7, 2014

Happy Travels

Aloha.  As with many individuals there is a bucket list in my head of places I would love to visit.  The U.S. east coast - the original colonies to be exact, or anywhere Benjamin Franklin and John Adams were present.  High on my list is Scotland, Ireland, pretty much anywhere off the beaten path in the U.K, Italy (to trace family roots), wonders of the world (or even better, remote archaeological sites).  However, many of the places that I wish I could visit would only be accessible through time travel; regardless, they remain on my list.  Some, like New York City, I'd only wish to travel back maybe ten years, London, England, only 4 or 5 years back. And, definitely present day Canada - suggestions?

Some dream destinations would find me decades back in time, and here's why.  Some of my favorite writers have written memoirs that made me long to be their companions after reading about their adventures and life experiences.  If wishes were granted, I'd wish to accompany Russell Baker through his life's journey... even during the rough times right through to the time that he found himself along the procession path after leaving his apartment on his way to cover Queen Elizabeth II's coronation at Westminster Abbey.  Same wish with Roald Dahl, especially during the time he tells about his journeys in Going Solo, living in an African jungle, flying fighter jets for British Royal Air Force, but then Going Together would be a stupid title.

I'd love to visit locations where Jane Austen's novels are set... a huge jump back in time.  The most far fetched places I'd love to travel would be J.K. Rowling's, Hogwarts; the entire world of Harry Potter, actually.  That would be pretty great... scary as all get out, but pretty damn great.  But of course this is nothing more than mere fantasy.  After discovering Marjorie Holmes's christian novels, Two From Galilee, Three From Galilee, and The Messiah, I wanted to be part of Mary or Joseph's family.  Of course, not only time travel would be necessary in this case, because I'd have to let my imagination open up to certain possibilities.  These individuals actually existed, they lived their lives like everyone else did in that land, during those times, but passed down stories give other accounts, which I would only consider if I was actually there... maybe.  Strong maybe.

In reality, I've lived places I never imagined living.  Some places I've loved and would move back to in a heartbeat.  Does anyone ever really want to visit just north of Houston, Texas, specifically?  Before moving there I had never stepped foot in Texas.  I loved it.  Denver, Colorado is a nice place to visit, and at one point in my 20's I mulled over in my head the thought of living there.  Did I think it would actually happen?  Not in a million years.  When would I most love to be there again, if not forever?  From Halloween through my birthday in late January... of a very snowy winter.  Specifically, just south of Denver.

Now here's the kicker.  Most people I've met, whom upon learning that I lived on a Hawaiian island, ask how great that must have been; how much they've always wanted to travel there, or how much they love vacationing there.  All I can say to that is, it's a nice place to visit, but...  It was an experience, and for me it was more about the people who made it tolerable, and the few who made my family and me feel accepted.  We weren't guest to the island which charts only one town on a map, we arrived to take something that was rightfully theirs. It was a tiny island, and when mainlanders moved there, it meant there would be a job taken from a population of 2,500 people.  The irony about my husband and I actually living there is that early in our dating period, I had asked if  Hawaii was on his list of potential honeymoon destinations if he were ever to get married.  His answer, a flat out, "No, not a chance."  That put him in my "he's a keeper" file.  Well then, there you go.  Funny how life works out sometimes.  A home building industry position finally opened up when there weren't many to be had, and my husband had already been out of work for several months as a result of housing market collapse.  That's how we found ourselves on a Hawaiian island.

I have different feelings about Hawaii today.  At one time it was on my, "No thanks.  I'll pass." list.  But today, if we could afford it, I'd be there in a heartbeat.  Even better, if I'd won an all expense paid, month-long family trip to the island of Lanai, Hawaii; specifically at the Lodge at Koele (exquisitely lush surroundings, beautiful suites, and the finest dining)  - with ferry, hotel, vehicle and dining accommodations in Lahaina, Maui included (occasional excursions to Maui were a godsend), come summer, I'd be there in, well, a heartbeat.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment