Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6th ~ Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Me, on my way to Target


Did a bit of grocery shopping this afternoon, and all the while I was there I felt like everyone knew just how pathetic the contents of my pocketbook were.  I had a small list - thank God - so it was a quick stop which - again, thank God - did not go horribly wrong due to my not having enough money in either Rick's or my debit card accounts... It happens a lot these days.  I was smart this time.  I had the kids' bank cards, so I withdrew money from the kids' savings accounts to pay for the groceries in cash.  I went all out, and by the time I walked out of the store I had put a huge dent in the old wallet.  NOT SMART.   What happened to the short list?  Well... it doubled.  Also, I can't seem to get past the fact that  being a creature of habit is totally working against me... "Put down the higher priced name brand item," says the booming voice in my head.  Did I listen? No.  (It is me I'm talking about here.)




So now, after emptying each shopping bag, I sit here sad - sad that I cut into a fifth of our total cash reserve AND sad that I must say good-bye to my favorite name brand items.  Don't know what's going to be harder; cutting out the stuff I use, or substituting products the kids prefer.  I love Oil of Olay face lotion - it smells so good and the newer formulas work wonders on my maturing skin.  Ole' Olay.  I'll miss J & J Baby Lotion too - love smelling it on my kids (even if they are teenagers).  Bye-bye, Baby.  And, what about toothpaste?  I remember using baking soda (nothing wrong with that), but are my kids going to be bummed when the last glob of Crest Pro-Health toothpaste is squeezed out of the tube?  (It's a very good toothpaste.)  Ta-ta toothpaste.  Oh, to not have the luxury of shampooing their hair with Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair Shampoo; worse, what will become of my hair without Garnier Fructis ANTI DANDRUFF CLEAN & FRESH SHAMPOO!  (This high altitude Colorado dry air is murder on dry skin and scalp.)  I could go on and on naming all our family faves:  Old Spice and Dove deodorants (How bad will we smell?  Ewww!); Cetaphil face cleanser; Soft Soap bath wash! (the girls insist on it for leg shaving).  Oh, Chapstick and Burt's Bees.....  This is depressing.




I've always been a bargain shopper - 90% of the clothes in my closet cost me between five and ten dollars (50% of my "wardrobe" is a Target label. Ha, ha.)  Shoes are usually at a 50% or more discount - except for my LIVESTRONG Nikes (Love 'em!).  So I now find it amazing how much a person starts paying attention to store pricing and sales as the need to get a stronger pinch on the pennies increases.    I can't believe how expensive laundry detergents and softeners are today.  In my old life I used to buy eco brands; my favorites were Eco-Ver, Method and Biokleen,  now it is Tide and Downey.)   I had forgotten how much I liked the smell of Palmolive dish soap my mom used to buy; Mmmm....fresh, clean.  I've become accustomed to fragrance-free and dye-free soaps over the years, I guess; same goes for tinted paper towels and toilet paper.  (Gasp) WAIT...!!  I'll miss you too, Scott!!

Life is going to be sooo different.  Can't wait... NOT.


No comments:

Post a Comment