Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 9th ~ Pray you never have the need to send similar email...


Today's sampling of life as I know it:  A letter emailed to three of my daughter's high school AP class teachers.  ~  A humbling experience to say the least.

Dear Educator,

I'm Lillian and my daughter is in your A.P. Biology/U.S. History/Language Arts class. I just wanted to inform you of current situation at home and would ask if you could please keep me posted if it seems to you that my daughter is showing signs of stress.  She came to me concerned about upcoming tests in AP classes.  My daughter reminded me today that test fees are due and that she will be needing us to purchase study guides as she doesn't feel fully prepared.  I plan to ask her grandmother for help with test fees, but as for study material, I can not afford to purchase books at the moment.   Do you advise she not  take test?  Her dad has been extremely preoccupied with "college talk," asking if she has decided where she would like to apply; he seems to not understand that college for the kids is just not feasible; as for my daughter, she has always relished the idea of going to college after high school - only makes sense because she does everything possible to keep a 4.0 GPA.  My heart breaks for both of them... my oldest and youngest too, because they have worked so hard to be good students.

Our family is presently facing an enormous amount of uncertainty.  Since losing his job last November, my husband remains unemployed and our family without income other than my disability benefits.  Our situation is pretty bad; he is now being treated for depression with prescription medication, and we are faced with having to forego paying all bills to have money for food and day-to-day essentials.  At the moment I'm at a loss wondering where we can to go when utilities are eventually shut off due to our inability to pay bills anymore.

Regretfully, my kids don't know the extent of things... Don't know how to tell them. I am afraid about how things will affect them as far as school is concerned. So if it's not to much to ask, please help watch my girl, as she is very low-key about anything that may be troubling her.
 
You can read updates on our family on my blog:  www.ahow-toguide.blogspot.com.  Email me or call with any concerns about my daughter or if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lillian Carilo

No comments:

Post a Comment