Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 29th ~ Is this the change we've been waiting for?

No, I doubt it.  Things will be a little different.  Since he enrolled in cyber school senior year, my son has had very little reason to go out... that,  lack of spending money and no close friends hasn't helped.  The only person outside this house whom he spoke with was his school advisor, and a couple of teachers.  (I wonder if he misses their regular chats?)  But tomorrow things are going to change... for him.  It's so great that he'll be meeting people in an environment he is comfortable in - We've been taking the kids to bookstores on regular bases since very early on in their little lives, like months-old ages.  Of course, It will also be such a great relief that he will be earning his very own money.  I've been extra concerned that no thanks to us - mom and dad - there would not be assurance of proper storage of his belongings (collections of books, movies, lifetime mementos... treasured items) when we are no longer able to occupy this house.  Now, he can box up his things to place in storage.  Knowing him, he will do all he can to make sure his sisters' most precious belongings go unharmed.  Another big change for him will be using public transportation.  My first job was a short walk through the neighborhood (scary, but short), but my second job required an hour long bus ride, thirty miles into downtown Los Angeles to work at McDonalds.  I'll plan on dropping off R.J. and picking him up tomorrow, but I can't make any promises about how long I'll be able to keep that up.  We have one car after all, and we  are 4 months past due on loan payments.  So after it's gone... it will be Rapid Transit all the way... not really far at all, if he had a bike I'd advise he use it for transportation while the weather permits, but he doesn't have one so...  


For me, only change is that today, for the first time in a long while, I will be ironing a man's work shirt - for my boy's first day of work. Haven't done that since TEXAS!  Seems like forever ago, ten years!  I loved waking up before the sun rose to get up and press Rick's clothes for work.  It was a joke we shared with our real estate agent:  Rick had given me a cozy, sweet home...  30 years worth of gifts all rolled up into one.  If he needed clothes ironed and meals cooked, I was going to deliver...  I better deliver.  I loved my "forever" present, so each and every morning I happily ironed his clothes as I watched the day break and heard activity from all over the neighborhood as all the other dads left for work.  It was perfect.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment