Thursday, July 17, 2014

Connections

BlogHer prompt for Thursday, July 17, 2014:

"Tell us what you think blogging and social media will look like 10 years from now. Will wearable technology change the way we tell our story?"

I can't grasp the idea of what anything might be like "10 years from now."  The world has had a bad day today, and will probably wake with a mind numbing headache in the morning... if it even sleeps at all. Trust me on this one, having had a bad night myself last night, I've pretty much felt like crap all day.  I'm ready to call it a day. So here goes my take on "wearable technology," blogging and social media.

The idea of wearable technology sort of bugs me. I imagine being cool about never experiencing a chance encounter with someone wearing Google Glass. I'm plenty annoyed about needing to wear regular glasses, and my family is pretty ticked off at how attached I can be to my phone - rarely do I use it to have an actual verbal conversation with anyone. Imagine someone walking around holding up a newspaper... remember those? Well, that's me with my phone; it's my newspaper. Google Glass and I would be disastrous.

Now, when it comes to vlogging, I'd like to think that having a camera dangling on a strap from my neck would not be such a terrible thing. But, the thing is, with phones handily available for recording digital shorts will I even have much need for a camera? Oh, wait.... I would so love to have a GoPro! But, for what purpose? Who the heck is going to watch footage of whatever it is I'm watching on t.v.,  or wherever I'd be driving to, shopping for, or cooking. No, I don't need* a GoPro.

As far as blogging and social media are concerned, for me personally, I hope they are still "a thing." But, I guess writing is writing, and that's what blogging is, right? Social media has been fun... and equally infuriating. I think I have it figured out enough that I can stay out of trouble, as well, as avoid undesirable results. Simply, keep my nose out of other people's business. That should work, right?

Social media is no longer what it had been five years ago. And, personally, I'm not actively participating in lengthy discussions or banter like I had been even a year ago. I went as far on the social media road as Twitter. Once Pinterest, Instagram, and whatever else followed came along, I lost interest.

At my age, as I inch my way toward empty-nest phase of life, I hope to make real life connections. The idea of gathering with others, enjoying similar interests, takes me back to simpler times; times when friends, neighbors, families made a concerted effort to be in each others company. I missed that, and am grateful to have been able to reconnect with family in recent years. Now it's time to make some friends.** Or is it too late?***

*HashtagWant
**HashtagIHopeItsNotTooLate
***HashtagGiggles

Until tomorrow ~ Lil

***

This post is written for Day 17 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge for July 2014 and NaBloPoMo.


12,402

No comments:

Post a Comment