Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Guide. Shape. Effect.

Today's post should be a cakewalk; after all, we've all been influenced by individuals throughout our lives, haven't we? So, challenge accepted. I really like this prompt, and am looking forward to reading other bloggers' lists. I love that nobody's list is "wrong."

BlogHer asks, "Tell us 10 people you would declare the 10 most important people in the world so far this decade." I don't consider myself an expert on anything, but I am entitled to my own opinions. So, please join me as I look back at the first decade of the 21st century. I've chosen those whom I feel are of strong character, individuals who don't back down from challenges or adversity. I've kept most from this list close to home. Ask me who I think will be most influential in the next decade and it's a pretty good bet most of  my choices will be from around the globe.  So, with the help of Wikipedia and Time 100 lists, here is my list.

In 2001, our nation was rocked to it's core. We will never forget the events of September, 11.  On that day, what mattered most to me were my kids. They were a constant reminder of good in the world.

For 2002, I've chosen the original American IdolKelly Clarkson. Kelly & American Idol provided a diversion. I'm a t.v. person, and this show and it's contestants, changed our viewing habits. We became part of the production; phones - landlines - were picked up and numbers pressed to submit votes for the best performer.  Families, again, came together in front of the t.v.,. like the old days. Who knew?

In 2003 Elizabeth Smart was released from captivity. She had been abducted and remained missing for months until she was able to escape her captors. Although there is no denying hers was a traumatic experience, the dignity and courage she possessed throughout (and, still to this day), coupled with the strength and compassion from a loving family, are examples of what really matters in life.

I hope that my list doesn't appear celebrity based, but some of these individuals really made a sincere impact on my life.  In 2004, as a mother of three young children, J.K. Rowling's stories about a boy wizard, made me wish I was a kid again. I relished every summary of each chapter that my son read. The imagery in his telling of accounts in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone provided an escape into a world I had never imagined could exist.

I'm a news junkie; always have been, always will be. Hurricane Katrina in 2005, had me glued to the t.v. just as 9/11 had just a few years back. Nature was unkind; those designated to oversee welfare of citizens during a time of need, well, they were negligent, self-absorbed, and down right cruel. CNN anchor, Anderson Cooper, called them out. "Floating bodies," disaster of epic proportions, allowed us to see a side of journalism not often displayed in print or on television screens.

Now, in 2006... come on.  The Colbert Report's own, Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central. What was happening? A news junkie's paradise... news parody with a punch.  Colbert is genius. Smarter than he is funny... or is it the other way around? Who cares. This guy is one of the greatest interviewers ever, going toe-to-toe with politicians, actors, clergy, and pretty much anyone in the Colbert Nation spotlight. The Colbert Report is the last television program I watch each night.

Barack Obama took center stage in 2007. I didn't vote for him in either presidential election, but I did become a supporter of our now President during his first term. I also support No Labels.  I think I'll leave it at that.

Times 100 in 2008 included the Dalai Lama. In times of chaos and turmoil, strive for happiness over hopelessness. Makes total sense to me.

At the time of his passing in August 2009, I sat down and wrote about Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy here.

And finally, back in 2010, when things were, well, terrible, it was my Twitter community that kept me company in my hour of need... hours, actually. I'm grateful for the support and compassion from perfect strangers from both here in the U.S, and across the pond. So many provided what family and close personal friends could not... the time of day.

Until tomorrow ~ Lil

***

This post is written for Day 16 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge for July 2014 and NaBloPoMo.


12,386

No comments:

Post a Comment